Remote; Contract; Full-time; Salary depending on candidate
Who we are
Spooky Doorway is a small award-winning fully-remote video-game studio based in Ireland. We’re best known for our point and click adventures The Darkside Detective series. We’re currently working on DLC for The Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark and some new IPs which utilise a lot of the existing architecture but are in 3D environments with their own unique mechanics and challenges.
We’re a mix of full-time and part-time employees, all working remotely. This allows us the flexibility to work however best suits our lifestyles and creative processes.
The studio works a 40 hour week but we offer flexitime outside of a few core midday hours, Irish time. You can be anywhere in the world, as long as you can work the core hours 🙂
We’re looking to hire an experienced Unity developer for a one-year contract (with the possibility of extension) to help us with our current lineup of projects. We are seeking a practical and skilled coder that will take part in every aspect of the development of both games. We’re not looking for “rockstars”, “ninjas”, or “wizards”, we just want a nice person to work with who has a good grasp of their own capabilities and can be realistic in their time frames for deliverables. No over-promisers and under-deliverers, please, we’re too delicate for that sort of thing.
This is for late-dev / post-release support and assistance with post-release updates as well as early development on new titles so you’ll need to be comfortable with on-boarding to an existing codebase and also happy to bring a new mechanic from design to implementation. You will liaise with all departments as required, from design to art to QA. Our current devs are here to help but their time is limited, so you will need to be able to self manage and motivate. A willingness to ask questions will be crucial during the on-boarding phase, which will run from hiring until September.
- One year contract position (possibility of extension)
- Available as remote work contractor with hardware capable of running necessary development tools (Unity 2020, development IDE [most of us use Rider], git client, slack, notion etc).
- The position is open to candidates from all over the world, but it is a bonus if you are located in a timezone close to Ireland’s. It’s an extra bonus if you are in one of the following regions in Ireland: Galway, Roscommon, Mayo, Sligo, Clare or Donegal.
- 40 hour week with flexible hours
- Salary to be defined depending on your profile
- Position available immediately
Required Skills And Experiences
- Shipped one or more titles
- Ideally to platforms beyond Desktop
- Proficient in Unity, preferably in the production of games
- Experience and strong knowledge of C# for Unity
- Experience with source control with Unity, preferably git
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work to fixed deadlines
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Strong problem solver
- Experience integrating in-house code with external SDKs and APIs (console, platform, etc)
- Fluency in English is required (though native speaking is not required)
Beneficial Skills And Experiences (not required but nice to have)
- Experienced in writing and modifying shaders.
- Experience with FMOD, WWISE or any other audio programming.
- Experience in working with multiple controller support. We use InControl so plus plus if you have experience with that specifically.
- Experience with Unity plugins (Adventure Creator, in particular, would be a huge boon).
- Have you maybe done some open source work?
- Experience with porting would be beneficial. You are not expected to be doing any actual porting work but as our games are shipped on multiple platforms it would be great if you had some experience in bug fixing/support in the area.
- Experience with agile development.
- Knowledge of optimisation and performance in Unity.
- Musical knowledge/interest
- Interest in investigative/detective games & stories
- Interest in slice-of-life games
- Remote work experience
We think it’s nice to know what to expect when applying for a job. Our plan is to give a few weeks for applications to come in, then pick out the most suitable candidates and arrange interviews with them (essentially we’re giving until the end of May to let CVs come in, so don’t worry if you don’t hear much from us for a few weeks). The interviews usually consist of an hour-long chat and may have a short live test in the middle. If a longer, follow-up test is required we will compensate you for your time. After all that we should be in a position to make an offer.
Please send your CV to email@example.com with the subject “Unity Developer” and include a link to examples of your work including source code.
We’re particularly keen to speak to candidates from minority backgrounds so please send your CV and share liberally!
We expect to fill this position soon so get your details to us ASAP!